Club Competition Entry Form 2014-15
Next Winter season's Competition Entry Form is now available for download. See the Competitions section.
New Temperature Control Systems
We are replacing our Temperature Control Systems in August. More details are as follows:
- The present system was installed 10 years ago (April 2004) and uses a refrigerant (R22) which under EU legislation will become illegal from Dec 2014. This in turn has caused the manufacturer, Fujitsu, to cease making spares for these systems, putting the club at increasing risk of a serious failure.
- A contract has been awarded and work will commence on Monday 4th August.
- Work will start on the rink area first and is scheduled to finish on Thursday 14th Aug, following which Dales will carry out a carpet stretch on Friday 15th. We also plan to carry out a full "encapsulation" clean of the carpet (semi wet process) and then the rinks will be available for bowling on Monday 18th Aug.
- The new system will be a ducted one - as is the present system. Northampton Indoor Bowls Club installed a similar system last September (2013) and they have said that they were pleased with its performance over the winter, and also their new system has used considerably less electricity than the previous one (30% reduction was mentioned).
- Following the rink system, work will proceed to replace the Foyer and Restaurant systems whilst the club remains open. The contractors are happy that they can work with us to minimise any disruption to members (for instance scheduling some work to the afternoons since we will still be on summer schedules).
New Underlay Speed
When the new underlay was laid in April it was running at 17.5 seconds (This is the time it takes for a bowl to travel from tee to jack at 27 metres). Recently it was re-measured at 16.5 seconds. This slowdown is expected after a new installation. For the new Winter season, we would like to recover the speed we had last Winter which is around 18.5 seconds. To get a 2 second improvement from a single stretch is stretching credulity (sorry!) so we plan to do 2 stretches, one on 11th July (moved back from 4th July) and another on 15th August.
No Open Day this year
We usually run an Open Day in September, just before the new Winter season starts, which always attracts a number of people who proceed through induction coaching to become bowling members. However as the membership is currently full and we are running a waiting list, it would be wrong to encourage people when there are no immediate places available. Therefore we will not be holding an Open Day this year. However the usual monthly "come and try" days will continue at present.
You can search the Palmerston site or the internet here using "the world's most private search engine"